BLU-U® - Unique and Patented Design
The BLU-U for actinic keratoses (AKs) - optimal design for treating AKs on the face or scalp
- As you know, AKs reside within the epidermis which is less than 2 mm thick.1 The BLU-U blue light penetrates up to 2 mm of skin.2
- The BLU-U also has enough energy to produce a photodynamic response. In our Phase II study the maximum clinical response with Levulan® Kerastick® (aminolevulinic acid HCl) Topical Solution, 20% was produced at 10 J/cm2 at 1000 seconds.
- Finally, BLU-U output is matched to the highest absorption peak of PpIX.3 It’s peak wavelength occurs at 417 ±5 nm and the maximum absorption peak for porphyrins occurs at 410 nm.3,4
The BLU-U is designed to deliver a uniform light dose and stable wavelength to an entire treatment area.3
- The large U-shaped design and tube spacing allows for the treatment of an entire face or scalp while delivering a consistent light dose all the way to the treatment edges.
- The unit is designed with a stainless steel reflective wall behind the tubes to minimize loss of light within the U-shaped treatment area.
- Light tubes are spaced much closer together at the top and bottom than in the middle to compensate for light falloff in this area.
The BLU-U is designed to deliver a consistent light dose.3
- The phosphor in the fluorescent tubes produces a very stable and cost-effective wavelength.
- The BLU-U contains a microprocessor that continuously monitors and adjusts light output to maintain dose stability from the first to the last treatment.
Use with eyewear that blocks light of at least 500 nm and shorter with an optical density of two or greater. BLU-U does not emit UVA or UVB light.
BLU-U for Acne - Innovative, Simple, Effective
The BLU-U offers effective, non-invasive and pain-free blue light treatment for moderate inflammatory acne vulgaris. Narrow band blue light causes a photodynamic effect within the pilosebaceous gland that kills P. acnes, the bacteria primarily responsible for acne vulgaris. When used in a series of brief (approximately 17 minutes) exposure sessions, it provides a simple, non-invasive treatment regimen. BLU-U treatments can be a primary treatment, an alternative to pharmaceuticals and topicals, or an adjunct to skin care programs.
2 MacCormack, MA. Photodynamic Therapy. Advances in Dermatology. 2006;22:219-258.
3 Data on file, DUSA Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
4 Taub, AF. Photodynamic Therapy in Dermatology; History and Horizons. J. Drugs Dermatol. 2004;3:S8-S25.
WEB 1394 Rev F