What to expect before, during and after treatment
Before Treatment Starts
- Be sure to tell your physician if you are taking any oral medications or using any topical prescription or non-prescription products on your face or scalp.
- Bring adequate sun-protective items with you to your appointments such as a wide-brimmed hat or umbrella.
The LEVULAN KERASTICK and BLU-U PDT Treatment
Treatment Step 1: Application of LEVULAN KERASTICK Topical Solution
- LEVULAN KERASTICK will be uniformly applied to your AK lesions.
- Your physician will direct you to wait the recommended time in order to allow the solution to penetrate the targeted cells. Then you will return for the second part of your treatment which includes illuminating your treated lesions with the BLU-U® blue light.
- You should not wash your face in between treatment steps.
- Avoid exposing the treated lesions to sunlight and other forms of bright light for at least 40 hours. Examples include exam room examination lights, operating room lamps, tanning bed lights, and household lights at close range. Sunscreens will not protect against photosensitivity reactions caused by visible light during this time. Remember to wear light protective clothing, such as a wide-brimmed hat, during this time.
Treatment Step 2: BLU-U Treatment
- Before your BLU-U treatment, gently rinse and pat dry the treated area.
- Your treatment with the BLU-U will take approximately 17 minutes.
- Protective eyewear should be worn during your BLU-U treatment.
- You may experience stinging or burning during your BLU-U treatment, but this should subside between 1 minute and 24 hours after the BLU-U is turned off.
- You may apply moisturizers as needed.
- The most common side effects are:
- Burning/stinging, which could be severe, may last up to 24 hours after your BLU-U treatment
- Redness and swelling which may last up to 4 weeks after your BLU-U treatment
- Scaling/crusting which may last up to 4 weeks after your BLU-U treatment
General precaution for sun exposure
- On a daily basis, always remember to use sunscreen and wear sun protective clothing to shield your skin from the sun's damaging rays.
WEB 1421 Rev H